Friday

Poor customer service where is the root...?

I've had some real experiences of poor customer service since returning to TnT after living abroad for a long time, that said I've seen tiny examples of good customer service and I know there is hope for our isle.

This has lead me to think about the root of the poor customer service and as such to do some investigating. Let me share what I have found...

Many of our public servants have had customer service training in one guise or another but many are still rude and arrogant... why?

Let's consider the head of the organization... if the head is rude and excuses the rudeness and arrogance of its team members, even when complaints are made, then why should they change.

Let's consider the individual attitude... one person I met was repeatedly rude to me so I enquired whether she was always like that or if it was just me and I was told that this person believed that their degree from UWI gave them the right to treat people like that.... need I say more... and their manager never corrected them.... need I say more...

Lets also consider our ministers.... what example do they lead when questions are asked of them.... do they actually bother to tend to the needs of their constituents.... all this is customer service... and if our leaders are setting a poor example then where do we go from here....

I've found so much more will have to share another time.... but in the meantime what roots have you found in your travels and dealings in TnT... please share

Out...


3 comments :

  1. We would like to pivot on your point of corrective action. Shopper/ Supervisors/ Managers/ CEOs/ Business owners/ Leaders, no longer correct or penalize individuals when they provide bad service, so the attitude is: "i treat people how i feel, and it's all based on if i'm in a good or bad mood at that time".

    This cannot be tolerated anymore, there must be real penalty, loss of business. When business owners start feeling the loss of revenue, they will get on board. When a CSR loss wages because of poor service, they will think twice. When a government agency has the whole country say "NO MORE" they will invest in a fix...

    We have to get there some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also lived abroad for most of my life and have found CS to be lacking in many areas and at different levels. Now there is no excuse for this, however, I think that our people over the years have developed a 'defense mechanism' of rudeness. It is almost as bad as those in uniform who believe that wearing a specific uniform allows them to show their authority so if they are rude, we 'have to' respect them. After all, we need them to serve us.
    The idea of serving is quite misunderstood. I love serving people. It really doesn't matter what the task is as long as it is legal. If a service is needed and I can supply it, I take great pride in doing so.
    Many of the ones guilty of providing poor customer service, in my opinion, do so because they don't know better. They may have 5 CXC's but we have to be realistic. Many of these workers have themselves not been exposed to proper etiquette or treated with respect so they don't even understand this type of communication.
    As I have matured, I find myself more tolerant of the bad service, but I always find a way to get the message across to the person that if they are unhappy with their job, then they should not take out their resentment on the customers.
    I usually ask them if they are having a bad day and I empathize if I can. I always add that I know that their job must be a stressful one, and thank them for being there to do that particular job. I also like to compliment them - either I like their hair, or jewelry, or name. You know, if we search hard enough, we can always find something nice about the most 'un-nice' person. I smile a lot, so I leave little room for them to be sour to me.
    This may be a little too much for many people, but in every society, people love to be appreciated. People are people - just like us regardless of their status in life.
    Generally, Trinbagonians are hospitable, warm and friendly. Sometimes their circumstances prevent them from being as nice as we would wish them to be.
    Which one of us hasn't had a bad day and been mean to someone or shown road-rage, or snapped at someone unnecessarily?
    If we show our discontent in an angry manner it will just breed more contempt.
    What is the solution? As with every other problem, education is the key. This can come in many forms, but we need to reach the masses and that can only be done by example. They cannot afford to pay for all the personal development courses, as good as they may be. Let us show them respect and appreciation and ASK that we be treated as well as we are treating them. We don't know what their lives are like outside of their jobs, and although they are paid to do a job, their home-life must affect their behavior. Our attitude that 'they are paid to do the job and we demand good service'
    also reflects an attitude of arrogance. Recognition and Appreciation can almost always turn around a bad attitude.
    I think that small workshops offered to individual companies could help. This must be a 'rootsy' type workshop, where everyone is conversing and sharing - not a formal classroom lecture. We have to talk with and not to or down.
    Many of you readers may see this as a 'pipe dream' but it's my take on this subject!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your perspectives

    ReplyDelete

Search